Wednesday, April 3, 2019

23A – Your Venture’s Unfair Advantage

What Makes You So Special? 

1.    Human Capital – Passion & Determination 
o  Value: I am very passionate about helping people with alcohol dependency which would make me want to work harder for it 
o  Rare: not rare, many people are passionate about helping 
o  Imitable: can be imitated
o  Non-substitutable: can be substituted but is still really beneficial 
2.    Social Capital – Medical Students & Engineers 
o  Value: I have many close friends studying medicine or engineering and they could be really helpful when creating the product
o  Rare: Not very rare
o  Imitable: can be imitated
o  Non-substitutable:  can be substituted but their experienced and knowledgeable in the field would be helpful 
3.    Social Capital – Fluent in Spanish and intermediate in Portuguese
o  Value: this could allow me to work with a larger range of people, can also help if I took the product abroad 
o  Rare: kind of rare, not too many people speak more than one language 
o  Inimitable: can be imitated but might be a little difficult 
o  Non-substitutable: there could be other ways to come in contact with people who speak another language 
4.    Lack of competitors
o  Value: this makes it so much easier to move into the market 
o  Rare: it is rare, most products have a lot of competition 
o  Inimitable: although the concept is new, it can still be imitated 
o  Non-substitutable: can be substituted with another unique product 
5.    Social Capital – my dad is a physician and has a lot of contacts  
o  Valuable: extremely valuable because this could help me get in contact with people who work in a hospital or medical institutions
o  Rare: it might be difficult to have a close relationship with someone in the medical fields 
o  Inimitable: is possible to imitate but might be difficult 
o  Non-substitutable: I don’t think this to easily be substituted 
6.    Human Capital – Sympathy/Reliability 
o  Value: helps me relate with people more and tailor my product for them 
o  Rare: I feel like many people are sympathetic and relatable 
o  Imitable: can definitely be imitated
o  Non-substitutable: can be easily substituted but I think it’s still important to have 
7.    Schooling - Business major 
o  Value: a lot of my classes have taught me about how to exploit opportunities 
o  Rare: anyone can pursue this degree 
o  Imitable: can be imitated
o  Non-substitutable: could be switched out with another major in a related field 
8.    Social Capital – Close relative who is an accountant 
o  Value: this could really help me with the financial aspect of the product 
o  Rare: not rare, there are many people who work in this field
o  Imitable: can probably be easily imitated by anyone who is in accounting or finance
o  Non-substitutable: can be substituted 
9.    Knowing people who are struggling with addiction
o  Value: Allows me to better understand what they’re going through and how to help.
o  Rare: not completely rare, many people know others going through addiction 
o  Imitable: No imitable, only they can explain their experience 
o  Non-substitutable: Cannot be easy substituted
10.  Volunteering Experience
o  Value: has helped me work with people who are different from me and better understand them 
o  Rare: not rare
o  Imitable: actual volunteering can be imitated but the experience with each cannot be 
o  Non-substitutable: cannot be easily substituted, each experience is different 



I found it kind of difficult to dot VRIN analysis on most of these because I felt none of them really completed each part. However, most of the things on the list are things that I think could be extremely helpful with. I think my top resource would be the fact that my dad is a physician because that would really help me network and have the connections I need to succeed with my product. 

1 comment:

  1. Alejandra,
    Great work! I enjoyed reviewing your list of resources because they are all very different. It was difficult for me to think of 10 elements that make my venture stand out. I like that you wrote down "volunteer experience" because it is not an element I had considered. I agree that it gives you experience with interacting with people from all types of backgrounds. I would consider really reflecting on your venture and what makes it stand out in order to find a resources that completes each aspect of VRIN.

    ReplyDelete